[Moin-user] Re: Failed to update MoinMoin from 1.2.3 to 1.3.1 and being disappointed :-(

Jim Carroll jcarroll at totality.com
Fri Jan 14 13:02:01 EST 2005

> I'm a MoinMoin 1.2.3 user and have not made the update yet
> seeing all the problems on the list. I agree with Ulf that
> the documentation is not very clear. I also don't understand
> what the underlay directory really means. It would be nice to
> have a chart in the documentation explaining the difference
> between the 1.2.x directories structure and the 1.3.x
> structure to make it easier to understand how we should
> move/restructure our data.

I've got Moin 1.2.4 and attempted to migrate to 1.3.1.  Installing the
software was trivial, running the scripts was straightforward (ie, no
errors), but when I tried access it it failed pretty badly.  Meaning, it
looked like there was no Moin installed at all.  (I don't recall errors,
although I posted the whole experience to the list a couple weeks back, with
no response.)  Good thing for backups, as I completely reverted everything
to the 1.2.4 state.

I had a similar experience with the documentation trying to piece together
the upgrade instructions.  Read doc A which refers to doc B which has
history details but doesn't have  upgrade instructions however it does tell
you to refer you to doc C, etc.  Like a mouse trying to find the piece of
cheese.  :-)

I'll gladly resend the e-mail to the list if it seems noone received it.

jc