[Moin-user] forgot password

Bob Apthorpe apthorpe+moin at cynistar.net
Mon Jan 17 07:54:15 EST 2005

Hi,

ro bert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i forgot my password. I am the admin of
> the wiki.
>
> There is no:
>
> "If you forgot your password, provide your email address and click on
> Mail me my account data."
>
> Mail me Button on the the user preferences Page.
>
> And in data/user my password is encrypted.
> My Name should remain, so I want to get a new password or get to know,
> what my old password was.
>
> Any ideas?

I had this problem recently (for a regular user, not for admin, though I
don't know if that matters.)

In v1.2.4, user data is stored under <wiki_root>/data/user in files with
names like 1098884358.22.2887.

Create a new user in the wiki, one with a known password. Find the files
corresponding to the new user and the user with the broken password.

You should find lines in both files that look like:

enc_password={SHA}aTBvHBfdQBAl1/4UexpeOXO0w+g=

Make a backup of the broken user file, then replace the enc_password
line in the broken account with the one from the new account, and login
to the broken account with the new account's password. Then change the
password on the admin account. Once you're convinced everything works,
delete the backup.

I haven't looked into v1.3.1 enough to know if the same process will
work, but I had success with this under v1.2.4.

hth,

-- Bob