[Moin-user] Re: Re: PageTemplate oddity with moinmoin 1.3.1 as standalone with Python 2.4 under Windows Me

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Mon Jan 24 10:04:08 EST 2005

Alexander Schremmer said unto the world upon 2005-01-24 06:39:

>>I tried it out with 1.3.2, but the issue seems to persist. With both
>>newly created templates and newly created categories, they don't show
>>up when creating a new page until after I have terminated the DOS box
>>with the moin.py Python process and restarted it. (I mean, the new
>>template is not on the list of available templates and the new
>>category is not in the drop down box when editing a page.) MoinMoin
>>1.3.2 standalone, Python 2.4, WindowsMe.
>

> I can only think of one reason why this might fail. The list of all pages
> is read using a cache (dircache). And that one checks if the modification
> date of the pages directory has changed.
> So my question is: do you run this from a plain local FAT partition? Or
> somehow over the network etc.?

Thanks for the continued efforts.

I'm using a regular FAT on a laptop without a network card.

> How to check if it is really the dircache:
>  1. Start MoinMoin Standalone.
>  2. Open the Windows Explorer in the directory which contains the pages
>     directory, i.e. ...\data\
>  3. Remember the modification time of the pages directory.
>  4. Create a new page
>  5. Press F5 in the Windows Explorer in order to refresh the view.
>  6. Compare the modification date of the "pages" directory. It should show
>     a different time now.

Not so much. While step (4) does create a new sub-dir for the new
page, the mod time of the 'pages' dir remains unchanged. In fact,
despite having created and modified a number of pages since I
installed 1.3.2 last night, all first-level sub-dirs of ..\data\
continue to show the mod time from the time of the install.

You said earlier that it works for you when you try on Windows. I'm
guessing you aren't using Win Me. Could this be the cause? (As I
understand it, Me is often cited as 'Worst Windows Ever'. I don't
quite believe it though, having had a pre-3.0 version installed on a
286 once.) Sadly, my laptop just doesn't have the juice for XP and I
don't yet have the comfort level to rely primarily on my Linux install.

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB