[Moin-user] FullSearch Performance in 1.3.4

Nir Soffer nirs at actcom.net.il
Thu May 26 03:39:23 EDT 2005

On 26 May, 2005, at 6:25, moin-user-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Hi all, I am working on upgrading the MoinMoin instance we use, we're
> still way back on 1.0.   A problem I'm running into is that we use
> categories fairly heavily to organize content, and the FullSearch
> seems to run very slowly on 1.3.4.  One of our pages takes up about
> 50% CPU for several seconds.
>
> In our 1.0 instance pages links are cached on disk in
> data/cache/pagelinks.  I can't seem to find a similar cache in the
> 1.3.4.  instance I set up, so my guess is that the FullSearch on the
> category page is scanning all the pages on every page load, which
> could explain why it's so slow.  My test wiki was created by upgrading
> one of our smaller wikis though, so I'm thinking that perhaps the
> pagelink cache just didn't get carried over.
>
> So my questions are:
>  *  does 1.3.4 still cache pagelinks?

Moin still cache pagelinks, and in 1.3.4 it uses them for linkto:
search, but the code is not very efficient, and linkto: search takes
only little less time then full text search when the cache is ready,
and ages when the cache has to be rebuilt.

See http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinCaching for experiments with
better caching, we can speed up category searches in in a factor of
3x-16x.

Best Regards,

Nir Soffer