[Moin-user] Merging wikis

Nir Soffer nirs at freeshell.org
Fri Nov 18 14:34:01 EST 2005

On 18 Nov, 2005, at 21:06, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     1. If the smaller wikis are WikiOne, WikiTwo and WikiThree, is it
>        possible to easily convert all their pages into subpages (and
>        probably subsubpages) of the general intranet?

You can simply copy the pages into another wiki, the pages contain the
text, history, attachments, logs etc.

You may have name conflicts, and probably want to move domainA/PageName
to newdomain/WikiA/PageName. All this can be done with simple scripts.

The wiki global logs will be lost - RecentChanges and other operations
that use the global logs will not be correct after the merge.

>     2. Can I tweak the page creation process so that when someone
> creates a
>        new subpage in one of the smaller wikis, say
> http://www/Intranet/
>        WikiOne/NewPage, an ACL for the appropriate group is
> automatically
>        added:
>
>            #acl WikiOneGroup: read,write,delete,revert,admin All:

This is hard problem - a regular user can't add acls - even if they are
embedded in a template. Also, adding the same acl in all the pages is a
lot of duplicate work. There is no hierarchal acl solution yet.

A better solution would be a custom SecurityPolicy class. I created
such security policy here:
http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/SubWikiSecurityPolicy

You can test this solution in my test wiki:
http://nirs.dyndns.org/fix/WikiOne. Register as WikiOneMember with
password WikiOneMember to get access to any page under WikiOne/.

>     3. Is there any support for merging user profiles from one wiki
> into
>        another?  For example, if Clyde has profiles in the Intranet
> and on
>        WikiTwo and is subscribed to changes to the DesignElements page
> of
>        WikiTwo, it would be nice if after the merge he was
> automatically
>        subscribed to changes to the WikiTwo/DesignElements subpage.

You can add the WikiName/ prefix to all user subscriptions - but it
will probably won't work for regular expressions subscriptions.

Best Regards,

Nir Soffer