[Moin-user] Renaming of page with automatic update

Nir Soffer nirs at actcom.net.il
Wed Oct 5 08:11:29 EDT 2005

I plan to write similar search and replace like you describe for my own
use.

It will work like this:

  1. You select "More Actions: Search and Replace". Get current page
with a search and replace message at the top.
  2. Enter a search and replacement strings
  3. Check a [ ] "Use Regular Expressions" check box if needed
  4. Click "Preview"
  5. You get a search results of your replacements. I don't know how
this will look like, maybe one line for match, one line for result.
6. Click "Replace" to preform the replacement, or change the regular
expressions and click Preview again.

I do not plan to let you check out results because it will complicate
the process, having to remember all matches and skip those you don't
want to replace. I hope that improving the search expression will be
enough, If not, I'll consider this.

The change will be made to all pages, even those that are being edited
while you change them, ignoring the edit conflict. The user editing the
such page will get a conflict when saving, but it should be an easy to
fix. The search and replace will be restricted to admin users, as it
too powerful for any user.

The search code will reuse moin search module if possible.

Maybe someone already did a similar tool?

On 5 Oct, 2005, at 15:47, Garland, Tony wrote:

> What Ken mentions is something that I would also very much like to see
> --
> the ability to rename pages and have related links updated.
>
> Along similar lines, it would be extremely helpful to have a
> search-n-replace capability which supports regular expressions,
> provides a
> preview of the changes (with checkboxes to disable unwanted
> instances), and
> operates on the current revision of pages which contain a match.

Best Regards,

Nir Soffer