[Moin-user] questions on spell-checking

Hiers, Richard Richard.Hiers at covenantseminary.edu
Fri Oct 7 11:47:54 EDT 2005

See also http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnSpellCheck

-----Original Message-----
From: moin-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:moin-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
skip at pobox.com
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 3:35 PM
To: Kenneth McDonald
Cc: moin-user at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Moin-user] questions on spell-checking

    Ken> The MoinMoin spellchecker doesn't recognize _any_ english words
    Ken> until they are checked off. Is there something else I need to
    Ken> install to have this work?

This threw me for a loop as well.  You need to add a symbolic link to
your machine's equivalent of /usr/dict or /usr/share/dict.  Weirdly
enough, that link (it must be named "dict") seems to belong in your
MoinMoin package (e.g. /usr/lib/python2.3/site-pacakges/MoinMoin).  It
seems to me that the MoinMoin install could sniff around a little and
establish the link for you.

That's not the last step though.  Since you've already used the spell
check feature, MoinMoin will have already created a hash file that
contains the words you've checked already.  You need to zap this file.
It is named spellchecker.dict and is located in your data/cache
directory (one per wiki instance).  After you delete this, the next
spell check will be a bit slow as it munches on /usr/dict/words.
Further spell checks will be faster, since use the hash file.

I'm sure this is spelled out somewhere on the MoinMoin site, but I found
the bits I needed in site-packages/MoinMoin/action/SpellCheck.py.

This is for a Unix-style install.  YMMV for Windows.

--
Skip Montanaro
Katrina Benefit Concerts: http://www.musi-cal.com/katrina skip at pobox.com