[Moin-user] RCS for historical page versions?

Antonios Christofides anthony at itia.ntua.gr
Tue Oct 11 13:16:33 EDT 2005

Douglas Alan wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "RCS has problems".  I've used it for more
> than 15 years without any problems whatsoever.

I'm far from an expert, and I don't really remember.  They were
locking-related error messages that I got in twiki.

> Indeed, CVS would certainly not be appropriate for wiki pages, as (1) it

Yes, I meant something else.  I had wondered, if RCS works so well for
CVS, why wouldn't it work for wiki?  And the developer told me of a
subtle difference between the way CVS and wikis work; I think it had
to do with concurrency (yes, you see I'm not an expert, and I only
replied to your message because no-one else did.  In any case the
answer to your question is "no, there's no rcs", and our discussion
here is academic).

> I don't know why you say that "the compressed sized must be about the
> same as if RCS was used".  RCS doesn't do compression -- it stores old

I mean that if you compress a document with all its history, and say
that its history is kept with RCS and that the total size of the
document and its history is 1 MB, the compressed result might be 300
KB.  Now if instead of RCS you keep the document's history in one file
per version, and the total size of these files is 50 MB, the
compressed result shouldn't be much more than 300 KB (it should be the
same order of magnitude), because redundancy is much larger in the
second case.