[Moin-user] problem installing moin as standalone on gentoo

Nir Soffer nirs at actcom.net.il
Mon Oct 17 05:31:41 EDT 2005

On 16 Oct, 2005, at 19:11, dave s wrote:

> chown: `www-data.www-data' syntax is obsolete; use `:' since this will
> be removed in the future
> chown: `www-data.www-data': invalid user
> dave_comp moin #

www-data is correct for Debian, it may be another name for your system.
You can check the correct user name in Apache configuration file,
usually at /etc/httpd/httpd.conf. Search for "user" and "group".

> PS I am using the package from the moin website because all I want is
> a standalone server, I am not confident in setting up apache securely
> :)

In this case there is no reason to use the Apache user and group names.
You can use any user, probably it will be safe to use a special user
that can do nothing on the system except serve your wiki pages.

Best Regards,

Nir Soffer