[Moin-user] I18N wordlists and memory usage

Arp moin.askthem at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 15:35:32 EDT 2005

> >So by calculating c.a. 2-4MB per wordlist it would be safe to asume
> >worst case c.a. 5MB memory usage per dictionary? Meaning 50-100MB for
> >all languages ... ??
>
> Again, the words are stored on DISC, and only the disc pages for words
> appearing in a checked page are loaded into memory at all.
Thanks again Juergen for your quick reply.

The HelpOnSpellCheck ( http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnSpellCheck ) states:
} If the "dbhash" module is available with your Python installation,
} the files in "dict" are read only once and stored in a hash table.
} This speeds up the spell checking process because the number
} of words in the checked page determines the time needed for the
} checking, not the number of words in the dictionary (with 250000
} words, some hundred milliseconds instead of several seconds).

So I figured installing dbhash would give the users a more responsive
system, but wanted to know about memory footprint implications - hence
my question.

> Anyway, you should care about CPU much more than about memory ressources.

This is an interesting point, as some of the providers I talked too
said they stopped supporting python on their webhosting offers because
they could always point directly at websites running python just by
looking at the CPU usage stats. So I had some trouble finding a
reliable provider that would offer python in the first place.

How bad is this effect really and/or how badly does running MoinMoin
affect the CPU load as compared to other Wiki systems that are maybe
PHP or Perl based ??

I still have a choice althoug I _do_ like Moin a lot in the days I've
played around with it now (Desktop Edition still however), but if I'm
bound to get into all sorts of provider/performance trouble I should
pobably be considering something else ... ?

Anyone any experience / ideas on the matter ?
--
Arp