[Moin-user] I18N wordlists and memory usage

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Mon Oct 24 04:43:50 EDT 2005

>> Anyway, you should care about CPU much more than about memory ressources.
> This is an interesting point, as some of the providers I talked too
> said they stopped supporting python on their webhosting offers because
> they could always point directly at websites running python just by
> looking at the CPU usage stats.

Maybe this is because perl and php are ugly enough most people don't do
really big stuff with them. <g>

 > So I had some trouble finding a
> reliable provider that would offer python in the first place.

Maybe get a root server so you won't have a whining provider.

If that's too expensive, get a root server together with some other people.

What exactly do you want to do with your wiki install? Topics? Expected
traffic? Expected space usage? Count of wikis? You know, we are hosting
moin wikis. <g>

> How bad is this effect really and/or how badly does running MoinMoin
> affect the CPU load as compared to other Wiki systems that are maybe
> PHP or Perl based ??

Some moin operations are using more CPU than a wiki like usemod or
phpwiki, not being as capable as moin, would do.

Every feature has its price, some more, some less.

But again, this is not python related. I can tell you, I also had to
disable emacswiki on our server due to extremely high cpu load - and
that is in perl, using much less code than moin.