[Moin-user] Re: Using reStructuredText for an entire wiki

Nir Soffer nirs at actcom.net.il
Sat Sep 10 20:45:02 EDT 2005

On 11 Sep, 2005, at 6:13, Fred Drake wrote:

> The biggest issue isn't so much that help pages aren't available, but
> that things like the edit view for a page include help text that's
> syntax dependent.  I just found in the code where that text is added;
> it looks like it won't be a matter of configuring an installation to
> change that.  MoinMoin.PageEditor.PageEditor is a huge chunk of code
> to copy for what seems like should be a simple customization, but that
> looks like I'll have to do something like that.

PageEditor is not the most beautiful piece of code :)

We plan to move the display code to the theme, and leave the editor
logic in PageEditor. Done properly, one will be able to override single
method to replace the help text, or edit the css to change the location
and look of this text.

That help text could be part of the parser. Each parser should provide
the basic help for its syntax. Then you will get automatically the help
text for the current #format, or the wiki default_format.

> I'm brand new to the MoinMoin code; is there a structural overview
> written up somewhere?  Is this something that a plugin should be able
> to handle, or some other form of extension that's already supported?

There are MoinDev* pages in the wiki.

Best Regards,

Nir Soffer