[Moin-user] Sources of advice while setting up a moinmoin

Lee James lee.james at ieee.org
Mon Sep 26 13:04:05 EDT 2005

I am in the process of installing moinmoin.  As an initial attempt I am installing it on my personal LAN as a standalone wiki.  The specific machine is running Windows 2000 and already has Python 2.4 installed at C:\Python24.  Here is what has transpired so far:

a.. following http://wiki.python.org/moin/HelpOnInstalling/BasicInstallation
  a.. downloaded the install file and unpacked it into file:///D:\work\JOBS\2005Applications\OTI\wiki\moin-1.3.5
    a.. needed to upgrade WinRAR before this was successful.
  b.. command line install appears to have worked, install.log contains 814 entries
    a.. all entries installed under C:\moin
    b.. predicted message about the search path did not appear
  c.. added c:\moin to the python path
  d.. No messages in response to import MoinMoin
    a.. appears that the MoinMoin source code is located in C:\moin\Lib\site-packages\MoinMoin\
      a.. Note that the predicted python2.4 is missing                                                                             issue A
    b.. appears that the templates are located in C:\moin\share\moin\
    c.. appears that some scripts that help to use the MoinMoin shell commands are located in C:\moin\Scripts
a.. following http://wiki.python.org/moin/HelpOnInstalling/WikiInstanceCreation
  a.. Not sure I found the 'dedicated pages' being referred to
    a.. assuming this refers to the Installation scenarios section of http://wiki.python.org/moin/HelpOnInstalling .
  b..  for first instance will use the name of trial and be at C:\moin\wikis\trial
  c..
    a.. PREFIX=C:\moin
    b.. SHARE=$PREFIX\share\moin
    c.. WIKILOCATION=$PREFIX\wikis
    d.. INSTANCE=trial
  d.. copied the relevant files to C:\moin\wikis\trial
  e.. permissions set so the directory is not shared, but everyone on this machine has access. This is the windows default.
  f.. editing wikiconfig.py
    a.. changing line 36 sitename = u'Untitled Wiki' to sitename = u'Trial Wiki'
    b.. changing line 83 #acl_rights_before = u"YourName:read,write,delete,revert,admin" to acl_rights_before = u"lee:read,write,delete,revert,admin"
      a.. see http://wiki.python.org/moin/HelpOnAccessControlLists
    c.. changing line 96 mail_smarthost = "" to mail_smarthost = "mail.storm.ca"
      a.. looking up SMTP server: Outlook Express -> Tools -> Accounts: pop.storm.ca -> properties: servers
    d.. changing line 99 mail_from = "" to mail_from = "Wiki Trial"
a.. following http://wiki.python.org/moin/HelpOnInstalling/StandaloneServer
  a.. copied moin.py from C:\moin\share\moin\server to C:\moin\wikis\trial
  b.. editing moin.py
    a.. changing line 15 sys.path.insert(0, '/path/to/wikiconfig') to sys.path.insert(0, 'C:/moin/wikis/trial')
    b.. changing line 32 docs = '/usr/share/moin/htdocs' to docs = 'C:/moin/share/moin/htdocs'
    c.. changing line 44 interface = 'localhost' to interface = ''
    d.. changing line 49 ## logPath = 'moin.log' to logPath = 'moin.log'
  c.. try running by double-clicking moin.py
    a.. failed to find MoinMoin.server.standalone to import from                                                     issue B
  d.. moved MoinMoin from C:\moin\Lib\site-packages to C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages
  e.. try running by running moin.py from cmd window                                                                           issue C
    a.. File "C:\moin\Lib\site-packages\MoinMoin\server\standalone.py", line 485, in run
    b.. AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'getuid'
  f.. copied MoinMoin back so it appears as both C:\moin\Lib\site-packages and C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages
  g.. try running by running moin.py from cmd window and by doulble clicking
    a.. File "C:\moin\Lib\site-packages\MoinMoin\server\standalone.py", line 485, in run
    b.. if os.getuid() == 0 and os.name == 'posix':                                                                          issue D
    c.. AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'getuid'
I am left with several confusions: