[Moin-user] Page name is not longer the headline in the page in version 1.5.1

solo turn soloturn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 11:29:02 EDT 2006

On 2/21/06, Thomas Waldmann <tw-public at gmx.de> wrote:
> > space saving things would be:
> >  * use icons (moinmoin did already i think)
>
> Icons are difficult to handle. You need to have them match your theme
> colours, they don't scale to user's screen resolution and sometimes they
> don't "say" anything (so you have to read some mouseover bubble). Some
> people like them bigger, some smaller. Some people have difficulties
> recognizing small icons.
>
> And someone needs to draw them. Someone != me (also true for most
> developers).
>
> Therefore I prefer text menu items.

if there is a commitment to show icons, you'll get icon-drawers too.
and you get a set of small and big icons. and you could have a
config-option: text - small icons - big icons.

> >  * search field like http://www.jspwiki.org/
>
> I am not sure I like that popup.
>
> If you do a search, there can be more than 1 result, so why should you
> say "view" or "edit" before you even know what will be found?
>
> And one would've to look how that is done. Such stuff can easily make
> trouble for some browsers.

you are right. you might want to discuss about how it is done and the
contents, but you can hide a lot of things by using this technique.
and have keyboard shortcuts like gmail does it.

> > logo -- <user> - preferences - logout -- [xxxx] title text FindPage
> > logo -- <pagename> -- edit - info - subscribe
>  > logo -- <trail>
>
> Logo + page location can get long, so this is no option. Everything else
> already is like that.

in 95% of the cases it does not get long. if it gets long it is no
problem to truncate it, or to have a popup like with the search page.

> >  * "moinmoin" is gone and replaced by clicking on logo with meaningful
> > alternate text
>
> What you denote by "MoinMoin" is the interwiki name (and that can be
> different although logo is the same). But it already is optional
> (show_interwiki). It is just to show a fully qualified interwiki page name.
>
> You don't need it, if you only run a single wiki or multiple, completely
> unrelated wikis, of course.

i'm not sure if i know what you mean by that. why do you have to show
the interwiki name, or, why it is not sufficient to show it as
alt-text of the logo?

> >  * page actions line is shifted beside page name
>
> See above. There might be no space.
>
> >  * wiki actions line is gone and shifted to the top two lines
>
> There is not enough space.

there is. currently the page name is shown twice, one time truncated
as tab, the other time above. maybe put the page name back where it
was before? as a heading of the text?

> >  * quick links would have to be placed somewhere. maybe an auto-opening menu
> >    or a separate line? configurable.
>
> We add configurability if there is no obvious right choice and no other way.
>
> Putting quick links into some menu makes them one click less quick.
>
> Auto-opening might need javascript or advanced css features and won't
> work with some browsers.
>
> > then there could be a line with user defined links
>
> Quicklinks are user defined links.
>
>  > maybe an included page with links.
>
> Maybe we move user data (including quicklinks) into some sort of wiki
> "page" some day.
>
>  > this page could be included in a number of similar
> > pages and create something like a "space" just by similar look.
>
> What is a "similar" page? I don't think I get what you mean or what that
> would be useful for.

this would be to have certain links always visible, like "download"
and others. like you have on a normal webpage.

therefor "user links" was confusing, maybe "admin links", or "menu",
or "configurable links" would be the better expression. an example is
the jspwikis left side links.

-solo.