[Moin-user] ANN: MoinMoin 1.5.3 (advanced wiki engine) released
2005a at usenet.alexanderweb.de
Sun Apr 16 15:52:00 EDT 2006
/\/\ ___ (_)_ __ /\/\ ___ (_)_ __
/ \ / _ \| | '_ \ / \ / _ \| | '_ \ __
/ /\/\ \ (_) | | | | / /\/\ \ (_) | | | | | /| |_
\/ \/\___/|_|_| |_\/ \/\___/|_|_| |_| |.__)
MoinMoin 1.5.3 advanced wiki engine released
MoinMoin is an easy to use, full-featured and extensible wiki software
package written in Python. It can fulfill a wide range of roles, such as
a personal notes organizer deployed on a laptop or home web server,
a company knowledge base deployed on an intranet, or an Internet server
open to individuals sharing the same interests, goals or projects.
A wiki is a collaborative hypertext environment with an emphasis
on easy manipulation of information.
MoinMoin 1.5.3 is a bug fix release and a recommend update. The 1.5
branch brings you several new features such as the GUI editor, which
allows the users to edit pages in a WYSIWYG environment, and many bug
fixes. The download page: http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinDownload
New features in 1.5.3
* Introduced a new script system that accumulates all scripts under
a single command "moin".
* LDAP and SMB authentication modules, enhanced authentication
* The full text search engine supports indexing attachments now.
(It is still not considered stable, though)
Major bug fixes in 1.5.3
* Many GUI editor related bug fixes.
* Enhanced usability of the login process.
* Fixed a small problem that could lead to XSS issues.
Major new features in 1.5
* The WYSIWYG editor for wiki pages allows you to edit pages without
touching the markup. Furthermore, the wiki page is not stored as
HTML after editing but kept as wiki markup in order to simplify
the editing process for users that cannot or do not want to use the
* AutoAdmin security policy allows users to gain admin permissions on
* The new authentication system allows to add short methods that check the
credentials of the user. This allowed us to add eGroupware single sign
* Separation of homepages into a separate wiki (in a farm) and having a
single user database is supported.
* A DeSpam action to allow mass-reverting of spam attacks.
* PackageInstaller support for simplified installation of plugins, themes
and page bundles. This enables you to decide in which languages help
pages should be installed.
Note that Python 2.3.0 or newer is required.
For a more detailed list of changes, see the CHANGES file in the
distribution or http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinRelease1.5/CHANGES
MoinMoin has been around since year 2000. The codebase was initally
started by Jürgen Hermann; it is currently being developed by a growing
team. Being originally based on PikiPiki, it has evolved heavily since then
(PikiPiki and MoinMoin 0.1 consisted of just one file!). Many large
enterprises have been using MoinMoin as a key tool of their intranet, some
even use it for their public web page. A large number of Open Source
projects use MoinMoin for communication and documentation. Of course there
are also many private installations.
* Project site: http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/
* Feature list: http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinFeatures
* Download: http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinDownload
* DesktopEdition: http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/DesktopEdition
* This software is available under the GNU General Public License v2.
* Changes: http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinRelease1.5/CHANGES
* Known bugs:
sent by Alexander Schremmer for the MoinMoin team
More information about the Moin-user