[Moin-user] performance of moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Wed Feb 15 02:53:02 EST 2006

> I get a terrible performance of the wiki moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de, same
> with linuxwiki.org

Both are run by the same server and process.

> The traceroutes are looking good. Is this due to heavy CPU load?

Load was often between 5 and 10 the last days.

Partly caused by high bot traffic and a good amount added by some
chinese sucker running a leech tool with a faked user agent = "IE 5.0 /
Win98".

Normally bots and leech tools are 403-denied doing "action=...", but as
this one could not be recognized, it put a high load on the system by
triggering lots of silly stuff (action=fullsearch, info, edit, print,
recall,...) over a long time (and the rate limits of some of this stuff
PER ACTION is rather high).

I meanwhile put this guy into hosts_deny, so he doesnt get any content
any more.

While trying to counter the attack, I tried some other things, like
letting such people wait (was ineffective (multi-threaded leechtool?)
and lead to other problems, maybe running out of threads or some other
resource).

I also added improved surge protection, now having a total request
counter ("all"), so that misbehaved bots and leechers now run faster
into surge protection (and stay there) while normal users usually
shouldn't get problems.