[Moin-user] MemoryLeak bug

Martin Wilck martin.wilck at fujitsu-siemens.com
Wed Feb 15 11:14:03 EST 2006

Hi,

I just ran into an apparent memory leak in either Moin or Python.
The problem is known and described on

http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinBugs/MemoryLeak

But, contrary to what that bug page says, it is _not_ fixed with Moin
1.5.2 and Python 2.3.5 (Linux SuSE SLES9, i386, kernel 2.6.9-7.244,
glibc 2.3.3). Only with Python 2.4.2 the problem seems to be gone.

I have been using a slightly modified version of the moin_profile.py
script from the page above. The problem with the original script is that
it displays only the RSS which may stop growing if the system starts to
swap, while virtual size continues to increase linearly. The new script
is Linux-only though (it reads /proc/self/status).

In my experiments, with both Python 2.3.3 (native SLES9) and 2.3.5, the
memory usuage of moin with the profile script increased linearly to
 >160MB at 5000 retrievals, which was when I stopped the script.

With Python 2.4.2, on the contrary, the memory usage is constant right
from the start and stays around 12MB.

I guess it's fine to use 2.4, but there are a lot of distributions out
there shipping 2.3, and perhaps people should be warned about this.

Does anybody know what change in Python 2.4.x causes the Moin memory
leak to go away?

I have attached my modifiewd profiler script, plus results for the
different python versions tested.

Regards
Martin

--
Martin Wilck                Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
Fujitsu Siemens Computers   Fax:   +49 5251 8 20409