[Moin-user] Confused about upgrading and where things belong

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Feb 17 17:38:20 EST 2006

I have a oldish RedHat server with Python 2.2 as /usr/bin/python.  It hosts
a handful of MoinMoin wikis.  They were originally 1.2.x but several months
ago I updated to 1.3.4.  Now I want to go to 1.5.2.

I installed Python 2.4.2 in /usr/local/bin then installed MoinMoin with

    /usr/local/bin/python setup.py install

My wiki tree looks like this

    /usr/share/moin                     # this is moin 1.3.4
        /data
            /pages
        /underlay
            /underlay/pages

        /wiki1
            /data
                /pages
            /underlay
                /underlay/pages

        /wiki2
            /data
                /pages
            /underlay
                /underlay/pages

        /unusedwiki
            /data
                /pages
            /underlay
                /underlay/pages

Over in /usr/local/share/moin I have the new stuff:

    /usr/local/share/moin               # this is moin 1.5.2
        /data
            /pages
        /underlay
            /underlay/pages
        /config

With the exception of changing the #! link in .../unusedwiki/cgi-bin/
moin.cgi and copying a few macros from one of the other wikis, I've done
nothing to associate the unused wiki with Moin 1.5.2.  It's not clear to me
how I'm supposed to merge the old /underlay stuff with the new.  Should I
even have all those underlay directories or should they just be links to the
version-specific underlay directories in /usr/share/moin or
/usr/local/share/moin?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com
      "The values  to which people cling  most stubbornly  under inappropriate
      conditions are those  values that were  previously  the source  of their
      greatest triumphs over adversity." -- Jared Diamond in "Collapse"