[Moin-user] Math using ASCIIMathML vs. LaTeX vs. ???

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Feb 24 10:28:05 EST 2006

Has any decision been made by the powers-that-be about equation support in
MoinMoin?  We have the latex macro/parser installed at work and have been
using it.  I just patched my 1.5.2 testbed to support the ASCIIMathML
extension (http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MathMlSupport).  From an
installation/support standpoint the ASCIIMathML route seems easier to me (no
need to install LaTeX, though extra fonts may be required).  MathML is much
faster than using LaTex.  I also found that there are some cache problems
with the generated images.  We frequently have to "Delete Cache" to get the
LaTex-generated images to display.

The downside of the ASCIMathML solution is that it requires a couple changes
to the MoinMoin code.  The LaTeX macro/parser is self-contained.  That leads
me to wonder if a decision has been about supporting math in MoinMoin...

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/
      "The values  to which people cling  most stubbornly  under inappropriate