[Moin-user] Re: Math using ASCIIMathML vs. LaTeX vs. ???

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Feb 25 17:17:05 EST 2006

    >> If this stuff would be on block level, I would've said "write some
    >> parser", but as it is used inline, I don't think this can be done in
    >> a modular way. Maybe this is a missing thing in moin?

    Alexander> I am not seeing your point here - MoinMoin has macros and
    Alexander> they are perfectly suitable to implement it.

You can implement everything as macros I suppose:

    This is a sentence with some [[italic(italic)]] text.

but do you want to?  If you're doing a fair amount of math there's a fairly
big difference between

    [[math(e = mc^2)]]

and

    $$e = mc^2$$

I'd prefer to see some markup devoted to equations to avoid all the extra
typing (and inevitable mistakes) we get today with the latex() macro, not to
mention reducing the load on our web server by moving equation rendering to
the client and supporting better printing than we can get with the latex()
macro stuff.

We have a couple pages that in their ASCIIMathML form have enough equations
that Firefox alerts me that it's "running slowly" a couple times whenever
the page is rendered.

Skip