[Moin-user] data loss, recovery from backup

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Wed Jun 14 06:33:58 EDT 2006

Moin Ted,
>> I have a standalone wiki farm running like this:
>>
>>        <moin>/share/moin/farm/{wiki1,wiki2}
>>                         /{config,data,htdocs,server,underlay}
>>
>> I lost most of the changes over 3 weeks under the farm directory and
>> restored it from a backup.
>>
>> For one of the farm wikis, the RecentChanges is just fine, showing all
>> changes up to the backup time.
>>
>> For the other wiki, RecentChanges is completely empty, and some files
>> under the data/pages directory appear to have recent revisions but
>> they are not visible in the wiki.
>>
>> Is there a way to regenerate the cache so I can see the more recent
>> pages?
>>
>> Ted
>>

> An update to the situation -- The backup appears to have been
> incremental, so now I've restored the June 8 version on top of the May
> 22 version.
>
> After that I have a RecentChanges with info up to May 22.
>
> Changes between May 22 and June 8 are not seen,

RecentChanges is made from the global data/edit-log. If it doesn't show
changes, you didn't have a current copy or your edit-log was
damaged/incomplete somehow.

> but the individual
> pages have the correct contents with appropriate history.  There was
> one page that lost the revision history, but I was able to manually
> recover the appropriate revision file.
>
> So at this point it would be nice to regenerate RecentChanges but it
> is not necessary.

I don't think there is a script for that yet, but all information
written to data/edit-log also gets written to the local
data/pages/PageName/edit-log.

So if you make some python script iterating over all pages collecting
change entries (you could even read global edit-log and remove dupes, in
case some page history data is also damaged), sorting by timestamp and
writing to a newly created global edit-log, you could re-generate global
edit-log, I guess.

Thomas