[Moin-user] Spam Problems -> Moderated Sign-up/Postings?

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Thu Jun 15 11:17:52 EDT 2006

> A number of months ago I had to stop universal write access to my Wikis
> because of spamming and now the spammers are signing up to post their
> nonsense on my pages.
Do you have antispam security policy active?

That should keep most of the spam out, so that the rest is easily
handled by revert or despam action.

> What I would really like to know is:
>
> * Is there a moderated sign-up system/patch?
> * Is there a moderated postings patch?

No, but there are groups of users as already suggested.
> If the answer to both of those is ``no'', could someone give me an idea
> of where I might poke around in the code to add one?

I guess that would be much work and less effective than using antispam
or groups.

> I would also like to know where I might get a Debian source package, or
> source distribution of Moin 1.3.5 (I think that's the latest 1.3.x
> release).  I've looked but not found either of these things on your site
> or by Googling :-S.
>
> [ Re later versions: I don't need most of the new features in 1.5 (my
> sites are designed for blind people, who can't use the GUI editor
> anyway). ]

Well, we also did bug fixes and you can disable the gui editor.

If you don't find a recent debian package: it is easy to install moin
from distribution archive by just using python setup.py install, so you
can use whatever version you want.