[Moin-user] Confused about Apache config

Nir Soffer nirs at freeshell.org
Fri Mar 17 00:43:00 EST 2006

On 17/03/2006, at 02:16, Dan M wrote:

> I've got MoinMoin installed under /usr/local/share/moin. I created a
> directory /usr/local/share/moin/projects, with data/, underlay/, and
> cgi-bin/ under that. I copied the appropriate files into data and
> underlay, moin.cgi into cgi-bin, editted wikiconfig.py, and ln'd
> wikiconfig.py into cgi-bin.
>
> Now, in my Apache setup I've got a section that looks like:
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>    ServerAdmin dan at catfolks.net
>    DocumentRoot <path to my doc root>

This should NOT point to "/usr/local/share/moin/projects" - or all your
sensitive data will be served by the web server. There is a big red
warning about that in the installation docs.

>    ServerName www.smurgle.net
>    ServerAlias smurgle.net
>    ErrorLog logs/smurgle.net-error_log
>    CustomLog logs/smurgle.net-access_log common
>    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin "<doc root>/cgi-bin"

This is wrong, just remove this line.

>    Alias /wiki/ "/usr/local/share/moin/htdocs/"
>    ScriptAlias /projects
> "/usr/local/share/moin/projects/cgi-bin/moin.cgi"

These two lines look correct.

> </VirtualHost>
>
> I'm not sure what the "Alias" line is doing for me.

Look in my answer to Kenneth.

> If I'm wanting to access the Wiki at /projects, do I want the "Alias"
> line to reference "/projects"?

NO!

> If I do that, I believe it will hide the Script Alias line.

Or ScriptAlias will hide the Alias. In any case, it won't work.

Best Regards,

Nir Soffer