[Moin-user] A Wiki Thesis

Robert Schumann robert at cantab.net
Tue Mar 21 11:17:11 EST 2006

At the risk of being accused of management speak, I think an interesting
- and perhaps accessible even if you haven't been using wikis
compulsively for years - thesis topic might be concerned with
contextualising wikis (i.e. how people learn to use them, what original
uses are they being put to, what other technologies they use) as well as
speculating on the future of wikis in relation to other technologies.

Eamon Nerbonne wrote:

> What about completely removing the explicit markup step, and simply
> using browser WYSIWYG HTML support instead?  With some XSLT filters,
> you can easily reduce the html to a safe subset should a malicious
> user attempt to submit nastiness... it also seems to me this would
> result in a very flexible format that leverages XSLT instead of custom
> parsers
>  (far simpler, and safer / more portable) and can do some real funky
> things like generating pdf via xsl:fo+fop for instance...
>
> --Eamon Nerbonne
> On 3/20/06, * greg whittier* <greg at thewhittiers.com
> <mailto:greg at thewhittiers.com>> wrote:
>
>     > Be aware that you should be a long-term wiki user to
>     successfully work
>     > on that markup topic. There are many markup styles and ideas out
>     there,
>     > but not all of them are good ideas. But that might not be
>     obvious at
>     > once, but only if you did it wrong yourself first. Sometimes
>     less can be
>     > more.

This is what I was thinking: it's probably a little presumptuous to tell
the wiki developers whether their markup sucks or doesn't suck,
particularly since it obviously doesn't suck for the devs' own purposes
otherwise they would have changed it.

It might be interesting to take a look at the bleeding edge features
being added to some of the wiki engines, and try estimate which ones
will be useful and which will fade away.  You might even want to give
some thought as to what the "next big thing" will be; if you figure it
out, your thesis might even turn into a business enterprise!

But the question I have to ask about this is: Why haven't you started a
wiki page yet and told us where it is?!?

If you want some more ideas about "wiki futures" or the social aspects
of wiki use, email me off-list or start a wiki page - there are some
things I'd like to look into (i.e. tell someone else to look into...).

Robert.