[Moin-user] A Wiki Thesis

Schwols, Keith C keith.c.schwols at intel.com
Tue Mar 21 12:37:05 EST 2006

Well, since many people are chiming in ;-).

I think a thesis on the differences in the usage model of wikis based on
the User Base would be interesting.

We've seen a little bit of the discussion on the differences between a
"Corporate" Wiki vs "Public Wiki" in this mailing list.  Breaking out a
bit more, there is a difference how wiki is used and perceived based on
the User base.  Public wikis differ when they support a wiki theme that
is very computer science related (python wiki, moinmaster, etc) vs a
more general public wiki theme (e.g. wikicities, wiki how to, travel
wikis and so on).  Wiki based on a theme (travel or python) where many
different types of people with a common hobby compare with Wikis based
on a community (teachers wiki, wikicities, ChildFreeWiki) where the
users are mostly of similar background and experience.

Some of the differences, I would classify and only supporting part of
the tenets that Ward Cunningham laid out in the wiki definition:
Anonymous vs Signed Changes, Total Access vs AccessControl, designated
admins vs open administration, structured vs unstructured page layout,
change approval (or discussion) vs direct change, ...

This can tie into the Wiki as a CRM usage (publishers vs readers).

Anyway a few thoughts,

]<eith

If a cute saying or a pretty poster is all it takes to motivate you, you
probably have a very easy job.  The kind that robots will be doing soon.