[Moin-user] How to merge userdata when upgrading from 1.3 to 1.5

Thilo Pfennig tpfennig at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 05:41:03 EST 2006

2006/3/30, Gisbert Amm <gia at webde.de>:

> There are users with accounts in both Wikis; they would end up with two
>   accounts with possibly different settings. How would Moin solve this
> problem (two users with identical name and emailaddress)?
>
> Another question: Users might have subscribed to several pages in both
> Wikis. What happens to that subscriptions?

I don't know what Moin will do. But you cpuld handle this by hand,
too. Depending on how large your user base is (?). You have the dirs
data/user and every file with the user ID contains information about
the user.

Do you have shell access? Then you could look into the dir by grepping:

grep 'name=UserName' *

That should give you a list of both wikis. I think a migration script
would be possible. From the idea it should have information of
"userdatabase 1" and "userdatabase 2". i would suggest that this
script could user the farmconfig.py. There is a new  "MoinMoin script
interface" that currently uses: "moin --config-dir=/my/cfgdir
--wiki-url=wiki.example.org/ " etc. see doc/CHANGES in moin 1.5.3 rc1.

I would suggest that this rather uses 'moin --wiki-name=FarmconfigName' ...
And for merging user basis someting like:
'moin --wikiname=FarmconfigName --wikidestination=FarmconfigName2 mergeusers'
This could be interactive and ask a user what to do when there is some overlap

I think this can be made by some good Python hacker as it seems that
this script already can handle user accounts. Please dont tell me to
provide code. I am not a real programmer and you would have to wait
months in order to get me providing code that would be accepted ! ;-)
I would provide code if I could...

I think its better if somebody who knows this script well makes some
extension because he will know what he is doing.

Thilo

--
http://vinci.wordpress.com