[Moin-user] Moin HelpOnInstalling changes

Rick Vanderveer rvanderveer at cognitivearts.com
Wed Oct 25 23:59:58 EDT 2006

Thilo,
I appreciate your concerns! (Thomas commented similarly on my page
http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/RickVanderveer/HelpOnInstalling-
Changes). Let me try to address them (at least from my thinking), and
then figure out how we can satisfy both our concerns:

> Understanding fundamentals; guides not necessarily the answer

I understand the concern about the importance of understanding what
is going on.  I agree, of course!  My rational is that the guides
should explain what is happening along the way. If you take my
ApacheOnWin32, for example, I have it broken down to two major
sections (Installation and Configuration), and then sub-sections
(Installing Apache, Installing Python, Installing Moin, etc).  Each
step should explain what it's doing (and if it doesn't, then it
should be clarified).

For comparison, I read through the 'BasicInstallation' and it is
extremely confusing for non-unix platforms (including from a Mac-
perspective, even though Mac is based on unix).  For example, the
instructions for installing Python have no relevance on how to
install Python for Mac or Windows, and would be totally baffling for
those users.  If a competent Windows and Mac administrator had only
those instructions to work from, I suspect they would have moved on
to looking at other wiki's.

Each platform/installation scenario should each contain the "basic
installation" principles.  But it needs concrete examples of how to
actually get a wiki working, not a concept of how it works.

> I also think we are missing suggestion what to choose best. I am
> still unsure
> what is best when it comes to performance.

It sounds like here what you're asking is for raw performance
numbers. While interesting, I'm not sure that should be the deciding
factor for many people.  The HelpOnInstalling page already lists the
sections from "easiest to install, but slowest" to "fastest, but
trickier".  Above that, it's really up to the admin to match his
needs.  For example, a Windows admin is not going to install the
Linux version even if Linux proves to be faster (which it probably
is).  Or, an admin isn't going to pick StandaloneServer if he can't
get LDAP authentication working (for example).

> Maybe we could have a QuickStart page that puts everything
> important on
> one page (very condensed) but does not go into any details?

This is probably a good idea.  I started a draft on my page. Anyone,
please feel free to edit and add suggestions!

http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/RickVanderveer/PreflightGettingStarted

Let me know your thoughts...

-Rick