[Moin-user] What kind of configuration I should use (from FastCGI over ISAPI to Twisted)?

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Fri Jan 12 03:50:59 EST 2007

> I'm a bit unsure what kind of Wiki-configuration I should use now... the
> goal is to get a intranet (farmconfig) running for around 20-50peoples
> (not current- and not heavy-users, since yet). The System will be an
> Windows 2003 Server with 2 Xeon CPUs and 1GB RAM, scsi raid5 (nothing
> more...).

With that hw everything should work for you.

Maybe using Linux would make it more stable and have less issues.
> At the moment I planing the MoinMoin 1.5.6 with python 2.5 and the
> latest Twisted release. But I'm not sure..
>
> 1. CGI with Apache is to slow, but well it works :)
>
> 2. mod_python with Apache is hungry for ram (so say others), but on my
> private Apache under Fedora linux, it works great.

The strangest bug reports we got yet often had the word "mod_python" in it.
YMMV, of course.
> 3. FastCGI not yet tried out, but should be faster then mod_py and maybe
> also harder to install?

I guess it is about the same (at least on linux) and it has less issues.
It can run different sites under different user ids (important for
hosting, maybe not for you).
> 4. StandAlone, well not that what I want

You could even use that, maybe behind an apache reverse proxy.
> 5. Twisted, works great on a WindowsXP Client and like I said, I will
> install this on my windows 2003 server. Well maybe it's just a bit more
> "simpatico", coz' its written in python...

Yeah, this was one of the reasons I used it for a long time. Growing
load was the reason we switched to fastcgi.
> 6. IIS6 and ISAPI; well not tried out yet! I'm not realy a friend of
> IIS.
Nothing to add to that. :)

> I found some performance infos (see links below), but they are all seems
> old and only for moin 1.3. So what your experiences or recommences? Has
> anybody long term experience with Twisted under Windows?

I usually don't use Windows for servers.

If you implement some persistent server, maybe make a cron job that
restarts the moin/python parts it once a while.