[Moin-user] Extend moin: design doc, custom syntax, drop down lists

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Fri Jan 12 04:07:40 EST 2007

> I'm interested in building a stock market monitoring site on top of moin (or you
> suggest if you think there's a more appropriate starting point).

Look on ThemeMarket. IIRC, someone has used it in a similar way before.
> I could use a design doc of the source and file based design?

There are some docs in the wiki, but there is no single "make you all
happy doc".
Reading the source and looking at the filesystem is also a way.
> - require a login to navigate the site.

auth.py and auth = ... configuration.
> - A user get's their own root off the home page and adds walled off content of
> their own.  They may not know about other users.  I'd hate for this to be easier
> using farms and each user get's their own moin wiki.

Maybe you can use a modified autoadmin security policy.
> - custom tag/macros

You can use any tags you want (see WikiBadge, Categories).

Implementing macros is also rather easy.
> - templates with drop down lists that come from the users profile

Although a bit unclear, this sounds like more work.
> - a back ground tasks (I write) that walks the wiki latest version files and
> addes  content to pages.  Is there a cache issue here?

I guess it should work, if you either use PageEditor class or xmlrpc
putpage.
> - A user may navigate through common links (stock symbols) to other user's pages
> but is in read only mode and may only see some of the content (filtering private
> info that may be in custom tags/macros).

Usually, you have to separate public and private stuff onto different
pages and then protect the page with some ACL.
Or publish the page with some ACL, if you default ACL says "all secret".