[Moin-user] MoinMoin Error Message: [Errno 24] Too many open files

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Fri Jan 26 06:42:49 EST 2007

> I'm running a Intranet-Wiki on a Windows2003 Server with Apache and
> Mod_Python and sure the latest stable MoinMoin Version. For a few days &
> weeks everything works fast and with no problems.
>
> Today, while I was editing like a "madman", well needed to update a lot of
> pages, I just receivded the following error message (from MoinMoin):
>
> [Errno 24] Too many open files:
> 'D:\\Daten\\wiki\\org\\IntranetWiki\\data\\pages\\Intranet\\revisions\\00000143'
> If you want to report a bug, please save this page and attach it to your
> bug report.

Looks like either your operating system isn't giving moin enough file
handles (for DOS, this used to be some FILES= stuff, don't know exactly
how this is for win32).

Or (if concurrent TCP connections also count as open file on windows),
maybe you did too many requests in parallel and ran out of files because
of that. Maybe the browser didn't close the connections cleanly, so
those "files" stayed open until they time out. Maybe try if waiting
helps (though I don't know how long the timeout is).

Or it is one more strange mod_python effect, then maybe trying fastcg or
plain cgi helps. Or use moin's standalone server (you can use apache as
reverse proxy for that if you like).
> (I also tried to extend the timeout of the surge-protection, but don't
> believe that this could be the solution.
That's unrelated. If you trigger that, it tells your rather clear that
you did.

Maybe try to find out what files are open, how many are open.