[Moin-user] Limits of MoinMoin

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Fri Jan 26 06:55:26 EST 2007

> I run a wiki with about 500 pages and a total size of 200MB.
> No we think about adding a lot more files as attachments.
> It is a elegant way to add files like pdfs or pictures directly to the pages.
>
> Do you see a problem with it?
The files will be stored into data/pages/PageName/attachments/file.txt.

So as long as you do not attach extremely many files (>>1000 if you use
a bad filesystem) to a single page, I see no problem with the filesystem.

Maybe having >>100 files per page will give some usability problems as
AttachFile action renders a list of the files (and long lists are harder
to use than short ones), but this is also  only for extreme amounts
attached to a single page.

Of course you will need a good backup of your wiki (including the files).

Especially the file attachments are critical as there is no revisioning
for them, so if someone deletes a file, it is gone except if you can
restore it from a backup copy.
> Will the wiki getting slower?

No, most page operations won't get slower.

1.6 will be able to index your attached file and search in their
contents, maybe this will be a nice feature for you (when it's ready).
Due to using an index, it won't have a problem with bigger amounts of
files, just then initial indexing will take longer, of course.