[Moin-user] Simple (less wiki like) themes

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Jun 4 04:06:04 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 05:08:55PM -0500, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> On 6/3/07, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > I have MoinMoin version 1.5.8 installed and I'm having fun playing
> > with it, my basic use will be as a personal web site maintainer, maybe
> > a PIM and for keeping notes.
> >
> > I'd like a simpler theme than I seem to be able to find at the moment.
>
> > Is it possible/easy to turn all this stuff off?  Or is there a theme
> > with less clutter?
> >
> > Oh and finally (if I haven't put everyone off with all these rants) is
> > there something similar to the 'rightsidebar' theme but with the
> > sidebar on the left like it is for almost every normal web page?
>
> You can try the Ubuntu theme available at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Templates (Last I checked, it worked out of
> the box on 1.5.x even though it was made for 1.3... minor tweaks may
> be necessary)

OK, thanks, they are quite 'clean' and could well provide me with a
place to start at least.

> About the right side-bar, this is somewhat common fare because of a
> long-standing problem printing pages in IE 5.5 and 6. Many developers
> figured it was easier to accommodate IE by providing a sacrificial nav
> bar since IE was determined to chop off the right hand portion of the
> page under most circumstances.

Not an issue for me as it's 99% for personal use and I'm Linux
Slackware and Firefox based.

> Also, fitts law could be used as a good argument for a right hand nav.

How does Fitts Law favour a right hand sidebar.  The most used menu
items in my Firefox menus are at the top left of its window, surely
therefore a left sidebar is nearer.

> Either way, that Ubuntu theme is based off of the skiddoo template
> found here <http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/skidoo/>. Its
> quite easy to translate this to either a left col or right col
> navigation.

Thanks for the pointer, I can see lots of time disappearing into this
quest!  :-)  or maybe  :-(

--
Chris Green