[Moin-user] change default recipient for reply to "list" instead of "sender"

Brian Gallew geek+ at cmu.edu
Thu Jun 7 02:48:17 EDT 2007

Sebastian Haase wrote:
> Please try to make moinmoin as easy to use, and as userfriendly as
> possible.
> That includes the mailing list.
> If you search the archive you find just to many questions without
> answers.
> I think this "miss-configuration" is the problem.
>
> Try to think practical.
> Everyone has only limited time.
> I don't have time to learn too much about MUAs.

Interestingly, I think it's "lots of questions simply aren't answered at
all".  Some questions are hard, and no one wants to invest the effort
into doing someone else's work.  Some questions are answered by content
in the wiki that pre-dates the question, and if it's that easy to find,
then the original asker can be assumed to go look there.  Some questions
are missed entirely.  Some questions are unreasonable ("I can't run
moinmoin on my Commodore C-64, help!"), and so they are simply ignored.
Sometimes life intereferes; you see a question, start to answer it, get
distracted by something else ("ooooh, shiny"), and completely forget
what you were doing.

You are absolutely right in that we all have limited time.  We should
not waste it on things that are unimportant to us.  Conversely, if
things *are* important to us, then we should invest our time
accordingly.  I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to learn Perl.
Almost every time I encounter perl code I fly into a rage over the poor
choices made by the coder (it's the nature of my job that I rarely have
to look at well-written code in *any* language).  Nevertheless, I've
learned some Perl, and continue to learn Perl, because it's important to
me to be able to deal with the code I encounter at work, rather than
passing it off to someone else (which I *can* do with Perl).

Remember, *your* choice in behavior does not dictate a response in
others.  Much like this and the previous email I sent, I could have much
more easily ignored the messages to which I replied.  My reply is an
argument to learn as much as is necessary about the things that you do.
Note, I do not mean to imply that if you drive a car you should be able
to completely disassemble and reassemble one, but that you should be
aware what functions all those funny little buttons and knobs inside the
car perform.  All that said, I'm probably just about as likely to incite
a change of behavior in you as you are in the list maintainer.

To look at things from a slightly different direction, who would you
take shopping advice from: a person who goes the store twice a week, or
a person who has only been to a store twice?  If you don't know much
about MUAs, MTAs, and list management, then you probably aren't the
right person to be making decisions about how they should work.

You will now be returned to your regular, on-topic discussions.