[Moin-user] change default recipient for reply to "list" instead of "sender"

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Jun 7 04:37:02 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 08:09:28AM +0200, Sebastian Haase wrote:

> On 6/7/07, Brian Gallew <geek+ at cmu.edu> wrote:
> > Jim Popovitch wrote:

> > > LOL!  I call BS!
> > >
> > > That "theory" is a carry over from the last century.  The same century
> > > that thought IPv4 and 640k memory  was enough for you.
> > >
> > > If you don't have the list set up for Reply-to-List, then you end up
> > > with a list archive of questions with few answers.
> > >

> > Actually, that theory is carried over from "when we learned about user
> > behavior".
> >
> > Let me be blunt (even a little rude): if you aren't smart enough to
> > figure out how to reply properly, your answer probably isn't
> > interesting.  Perhaps I've spent too much time as a list admin,
> > sysadmin, etc., but my experience is that making everything
> > thoughtlessly simple simply enables the thoughtless.
> >

> > AOL is over ----------> there.
> >
> > (Can you tell that I've spent too much time on a.s.r.?)
>
> Please try to make moinmoin as easy to use, and as userfriendly as possible.
> That includes the mailing list.

Yes, and userfriendly to many/most users of the list means *not*
setting up a ReplyTo address.  It's never possible to satisfy everyone
on a list completely, one has to come up with a best compromise that
most people can work with.  Other lists with a different mix of users
may decide on a different configuration but that doesn't make it right
for this list.

> If you search the archive you find just to many questions without answers.
> I think this "miss-configuration" is the problem.

I doubt it somehow, maybe there was simply no one who answered the
question.

> Try to think practical.
> Everyone has only limited time.

Exactly, and for many users having a ReplyTo will *waste* time.

> I don't have time to learn too much about MUAs.
>

> -Sebastian
>
> PS. : by google I meant gmail (without POP)

PPS: by MUA I meant (your) mail program, which might be gmail.
However what I was suggesting is that not all mail programs are
equally suitable for handling mailing lists and it might be worth
selecting a better tool for the job.

--
Chris Green