[Moin-user] http authentication works with Apache but not MoinMoin

Geoff Mayes gmayes at vmware.com
Mon Jun 11 20:54:07 EDT 2007

Hi again Thomas,

Thank you very much for continuing to look into this.  I am pleased to report
that HTTP Authentication is now working with MoinMoin!

Per your questions I was prompted to rethink the way the http auth and the
wiki directories, and symlinked directories, were specified in Apache.  What
I found out was that the <Location /> directive used by authz_ldap.conf to
lock down a directory had to match the directory specified in the Virtual
Host container which pointed to where the moin.fcg or moin.cgi script was
located (which I'm guessing then allows these two scripts to pick up the
REMOTE_USER and AUTH_TYPE environment variables).

That is, when http auth was not working, it was because my location looked
like "<Location /wiki>" while the RewriteRule in the Virtual Host container
was for the "/" (root) directory -- "Rewrite Rule ^(.*)$
/wiki/server/moin.fcg$1".  When I changed the location directive to
"<Location />" so it matched the rewrite rule and restarted Apache, I could
log into MoinMoin via authz_ldap and MoinMoin displayed my username up top
and auto-created my profile.

Now if there was only a way that users could gracefully and easily (instead
of clearing their cache or closing their browser) log out of their http
authenticated session ...

Thank you again Thomas.

Kind regards, Geoff