[Moin-user] User Says Page Edits Are Not Always Saved

Roger Haase crosseyedpenguin at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 15:08:57 EDT 2007

It has been really hot here lately, and yesterday I was out in the sun
longer than usual...  So after thinking about this overnight, I now
suspect a usability issue rather than a software bug.  The extra POST
that I thought was a clue is just a result of a Preview or Spell Check
operation.

The Apache log contents and the loss of edits can be explained by the
user accidentally hitting the Cancel button instead of the Save button.
 I think that perhaps my user is so involved with the document that she
does not realize she is clicking the Cancel button and the "Edit was
cancelled" message isn't loud enough to wake her (plus it is too late).

So try #1 is going to be to add an "are you sure" popup confirmation to
the Cancel button.

If that doesn't solve the problem I was going to look at a way to log
all incoming POSTs as to type of request.  As near as I can tell, there
are no options to log hits on the Cancel button.

With regard to Domain Authentication, no I am not using it.  I have a
oldish homegrown method that reads an SQL database and sets the Moin
cookie directly.

Roger Haase