[Moin-user] creating user accounts

Daniel Klein danielk at featherbrain.net
Fri Mar 30 11:35:34 EDT 2007

[mailto:moin-user-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Kay Nettle
>Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 10:27 AM
>To: moin-user at lists.sourceforge.net
>Subject: [Moin-user] creating user accounts
>
>Is there any way that you can prevent users from making accounts?  We have
>someone who wants to set up a wiki and one of the requirements is that
>only the admin can set up new accounts.  I looked through the docs and
>didn't see any info on this and right now, I don't have enough spare time
>to experiment with trying to do this.

This is all controlled by acl's.

Here's how I did it:

1) Set yourself up as 'superuser' in 'wikiconfig.py'. If your login name is
'UserOne' then:

    superuser = [u"UserOne", ] #There is already a place to do this in
wikiconfig.py

2) Create a new page called 'TrustedGroup'. This page should contain the
entries of all users who are allowed to use the wiki. Mine looks like this
(usernames changed to protect the innocent ;-) )...

## Please edit system and help pages ONLY in the moinmaster wiki! For more
## information, please see MoinMaster:MoinPagesEditorGroup.
##master-page:HomePageGroupsTemplate
##master-date:Unknown-Date
#acl TrustedGroup:read,write,delete,revert
#format wiki
#language en
 * UserOne
 * UserTwo
 * UserThree

3) Create logins for each User in the list

4) Set up acl's in 'wikiconfig.py' as follows:

    acl_rights_before = u"UserOne:read,write,delete,revert,admin"
    acl_rights_default = u"TrustedGroup:read,write,delete,revert All:"

Note that UserOne is 'admin' and the last entry in 'default' is 'All:' which
denies everyone except TrustedGroup.

At least this is the way I have done it and it seems to be working. If there
is another way, I'm open to suggestion.

Hope this helps,

Daniel Klein
Cuyahoga Falls, OH