[Moin-user] FCK Editor

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu May 10 11:50:35 EDT 2007

On 5/10/07, Thilo Pfennig <tp at pfennigsolutions.de> wrote:
> Matthew Nuzum schrieb:
> > This may not be a satisfactory answer, but here's what I suggest doing:
> > Train your users not to use the wysiwyg. Wikis are about content, and
> > when it comes to writing content, there is *nothing* faster than the
> > wiki syntax[1]. From an aesthetic perspective, users should not be
> > styling their text. Instead, they should leave that to your css and
> > style guide.
> >
> I would not agree on this position. Sure Wiki-Syntax is easy - but as
> you also say Wiki is about content and not about Syntax. The core
> principle is to make it very easy to contribute. The wiki syntax is not
> a core principle.

> It simply that if the GUI editor would work more or less perfect there
> would be often no reason not to use it. And that whole thing is not
> about HTML but about structure. Thats not a WYSIWIG editor that we use -
> it has nothing to make sure that WYSIWYG - it just helps to insert markup.

All very good points Thilo, and by all means, everyone should take my
previous comments with a grain of salt, since we all have different
users.

Just a suggestion, but this editor popped up on Ajaxian and looks
promising - I think *my* users would enjoy something like this more
than FCK.

http://livepipe.net/projects/control_textarea/

Looks remarkably easy to customize and integrate too.
textarea_toolbar.addButton('Bold',function(){
    this.wrapSelection('**','**');
}

I'm going to do some playing with it after I finish my current project I think.

--
Matthew Nuzum
www.bearfruit.org