[Moin-user] captcha system for moin?

Thomas Arthur Oehser tom at Toms.NET
Tue Sep 25 13:14:53 EDT 2007

>     >> If not a captcha, is there at least something that does an email
>     >> verification...
>
>     Sean> Yeh, any help on this one would be great.  The spam bots are
>     Sean> getting through all the counter measures in place right now...
>
> There was a Summer of Code project in the area of spam detection.  I don't
> know its current status.  I wrote a spam filter for SpamBayes this summer as

I think there is some misunderstanding about what is being requesed.

To me, spam prevention is trivial, as non-registered-users cannot edit.

Preventing bots from registering in the first place is the goal.

This problem is totally different, and not addressible by bayesian
filtering or other spam-filtering approaches.

There are 2 approaches I would like (I want both, but either would help...)

(1) Require a process by which "registering" puts a user into "awaiting
    approval" status, sends them an email with some kind of GUID cookie,
    and upon the user answering the email, moves them into "real" status.

(2) Require a user to pass some "captcha" type test, such as recognizing
    text within a complex distorted visual image, as part of registration.

I want a registered user to (1) have a real, (and unique!) email
address, and, (2) be a human being, not a computer program.

If there are real human beings with unique email addresses who are
willing to accept the overhead of these checks and still want to spam,
for me, the existing content filter is adequate, and if it weren't, any
spam reduction for those humans would be a much lower priority anyway
than keeping the bots from registering, see (1) and (2)...

-Thanks.