[Moin-user] need server-busting test

Rick Vanderveer rick.vanderveer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 23:09:06 EDT 2008

I'm with Marcin on this one.  I have a wiki-farm of a few thousand pages
that's used for internal documentation at my company.  My server is running
on an old Windows XP box, using Apache2, FastCGI, and Python 2.5.1 and quite
frankly I can't image it being any faster than it already is.  Pages, even
ones full of images, simply pop.   The only time we ran into a so-called
"slow" page was one we made that had about a dozen <<fullsearch()>>
functions on a single page (took about 4~5 seconds to process). We changed
it to <<fullsearchcached()>> and even that problem disappeared.
When I've monitored it, the CPU and networking barely blip during regular
usage.  And RAM-usage always remains about the same. Putting it on a faster
box would just be a waste of hardware!  :-)
Obviously not what you want to hear, but I would second that opinion that
your IT folks should pull it into a virtual machine.  I've been seriously
considering doing that myself.  There's really no reason not to, and yet
there are plenty of reasons to do it.  Your virtual server may have half the
bandwidth & CPU, but you may find that you don't even need all of it.

-Rick