[Moin-user] Moin Security and Performance issues based on host operating system

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Thu Apr 17 12:22:54 EDT 2008

> Are there any security issues to be considered in order to decide
> which operating system is more reliable to host a Moin instance or
> farm?

Well, I think you should prefer a well-maintained linux system (e.g.
debian or ubuntu) over a windows box.

Most of moin's code is the same for linux (posix) systems and win32
systems, but we have a bit of platform dependant code (mostly because of
stuff being broken or insane on win32).

Some stuff (like e.g. xapian) might be troublesome on win32.

Sometimes there are strange effects on win32 (see those bug reports
about removal of a directory failing first and then mysterically
succeeding some milliseconds later).

Also, I think moin on linux is better tested and more used than on
windows (speaking of server setups, not personal wikis).

> Are there any performance issues to be considered in order to decide
> which operating system is more reliable to host a Moin instance or
> farm?

You need a good filesystem. So if it must be Windows, don't use FAT.

On Linux (Posix) some stuff can be done faster, e.g. due to posix
semantics of a rename operation - on windows we have to emulate that
using slower locking.

> My humble experience, with no tests whatsoever, just personal
> perception, is that Moin on Linux (standard Ubuntu default server)
> runs smoothly, but I'd like to know your opinions and experiences,
> please.

I didn't do comparisons and benchmarks of linux vs. win32 as a moin
server. For me, using a Windows server for moin is out of question
anyway. :)

What you didn't ask for is setup and maintenance. Setting up Python,
Moin, python-libs and other support tools is often more work on Windows
and sometimes you maybe have trouble getting pre-compiled stuff for some
library. If you run into this, you would have to setup a C development
environment yourself (that's easy and standard for linux, but
non-standard and maybe a pain to do on windows).