[Moin-user] moinmoin and mysql

Boerma, Remco R.Boerma at drenthecollege.nl
Mon Apr 28 04:01:06 EDT 2008

Hi Kris,

It depends on what you want. Using some SQL formatter or other 3rd
party block parser you can get data from the database. But you'll end up
setting up connections from 'within pages'. It's hard to limit for the
current user since you'd have to write custom macros. So ACL is a bit
tougher to set up.

To resolve this issue, I built a python script to read information from
the database and push it into a template (maintained in the wiki,
fetched using xmlrpc), and push the result back it into the wiki using
xmlrpc. After an initial load (in my case, around 7k pages) I now only
check for a few that might have changed. If so, a new version is added
(Moin does this atomically. New pages are simply added and moin will
notice pages not having changed and drop the useless update. This saves
me from having to do that bookkeeping.

Now I have round and about 7.5k pages that are 'maintained'
automatically using this script, which runs every 21 minutes and new
pages being edited. The template is maintained in the wiki (patching
only the relatively new pages and not all 7.5k pages over again) and in
the template I set the ACL's required.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Remco Boerma