[Moin-user] Upgrading from 1.5.7 to 1.8.0 and moving to a new machine

David Cramer dcramer at motive.com
Sun Dec 14 10:11:53 EST 2008

Hi there,
I have a moinmoin wiki installation with three wiki instances on machine
#1 at version 1.5.7. I have a new machine, machine #2. I want to move
the wikis to the new machine and in the process, upgrade them to 1.8.0.

Here's what I'm contemplating doing:

1. Install 1.6.4 on machine #2.
2. Copy my wiki data dirs to machine #2 and run migration scripts on
them. Make adjustments to config files until I have a working wiki. This
seems similar to
http://moinmo.in/ThomasWaldmann/AnotherWayToMigrateFrom1.5To1.6
3. Do a normal upgrade to 1.7.3 on machine #2
4. Do a normal upgrade to 1.8.0 on machine #2

Is this a sensible approach? Given my situation, is there another way
that would be better? I like the idea of leaving my old install intact
until the new one is working, then directing traffic to the new one.

Another question, do I need to upgrade from 1.5.7 to 1.5.9 before I
upgrade to 1.6.4 or can I go directly from 1.5.7 to 1.6.4?

Thanks,
David