[Moin-user] mod_python or mod_wsgi ???

Roger Haase crosseyedpenguin at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 21:00:48 EST 2008

--- Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/12/08, Thomas Waldmann <tw-public at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > I go for fastCGI, mod_python or mod_wsgi? What are the advantages
> and
> > > drawbacks of each?
> >
> > Don't use mod_python.
> >
> > Everything else (except CGI) should give reasonable performance.
> >
> > Maybe, some day, moin will be refactored to use WSGI internally,
> see:
> >
> > http://moinmo.in/FeatureRequests/WsgiRefactoring
> >
> > So if you can get mod_wsgi working easily, maybe that is the
> preferred
> > way. It has not found its way into most distributions, though, so
> maybe
> > fastcgi is easier for now.
>

> I just recently finish (to satisfaction) my own MoinMoin install, so
> I'm kind of curios as to what's wrong with mod_python, didn't notice
> any warnings in the wiki.
>
> --
> Fedora 7 : sipping some of that moonshine

I have been using mod_python with Moin since around 2003 and found it
fast and reliable.  During that time, I think there has been at least
one bug specific to mod_python (related to uploading attachments?) that
was discussed here but it never effected my installation.

That said, I have been working toward moving my production environment
from Fedora Core to Ubuntu.  After bringing up a working Ubuntu
environment on an old PC, I decided to give mod_wsgi a try.  Following
the instructions here:
  http://moinmo.in/HelpOnInstalling/ApacheWithModWSGI
I was able to convert from mod_python to mod_wsgi in about 20 minutes.

Given a choice between mod_python and mod_wsgi, I think the strategic
choice is mod_wsgi because more of the development effort is going in
that direction.  It is good to have multiple choices that work well.
If you are going to develop a new Python application or invest time in
installing a new server then wsgi capability is worth considering.  So
my personal plan is to convert from mod_python to mod_wsgi.

Roger Haase