[Moin-user] Automatically create links

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 17:10:09 EDT 2008

> I working on wikifying the Linux Document Projects doc's.

Cool. :) linuxwiki.de also runs moin.

> I've run into a number of problems,

The biggest one seems to be spam.

I suggest you try moin 1.6.3 or 1.7.0 because it will likely keep the
spam away if you use textchas.

I have seen you use Python 2.3 still - moin SHOULD be still compatible
to this old python version, but better try with a test setup as many of
the moin developers don't even have py2.3 installed.

> but the one I'm trying to sort out
> here is how to get existing docs automatically linked, even if there
> is no explicit link in the doc.

Well, for a collection of documents, maybe just use TitleIndex?

You could also put category tags onto the pages and search for the
categories to autogenerate some categorized list.

> BTW, while I'm thinking of linking, if someone can please point me in
> the right direction in regards to getting underscore links back in the
> most recent MoinMoin - I'd appreciate it.

I am not sure what you mean with underscore links.

In case you mean moin magically changing spaces to underscores when
generating URLs, that won't ever come back (we only had troubles with it
and we would have even more trouble soon, when unifying attachments and
pages to mimetype items).

For moin >=1.6, it is simple:
  * If you want underscores in a page URL, use a page name with underscores.
  * If you want blanks (%20), use a page name with blanks.

BTW, you maybe want a theme that is less emphasizing the page name (wiki
nav).

E.g. the Linux Cluster HOWTO page looks like this:

Linux Cluster HOWTO      <- page name (wiki nav)

Linux Cluster HOWTO      <- h1 (content)

What you maybe want is a rather small or separate display of the wiki
nav and prominently show the content h1.

That will also solve your underscore problem, btw.

Just name the page LinuxClusterHowTo or Linux_Cluster_HOWTO or ... (to
have URLs without %20).

And keep the h1 as it is.

The page name in wiki nav has to be considered like a file name (you
won't print resume.doc in big letters above your resume, right?), but it
will just show the content (and maybe the filename in a rather small
font somewhere).