[Moin-user] moving attachments

Rick Vanderveer rick.vanderveer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 12:07:56 EDT 2008

Well now, I think you'll find some philosophical disagreement on attachment
handling, Dr. Werner... :-)

(ignoring the "wiki sync" issue for a moment, which is another issue
altogether).

Basically, something like a wiki has fundamentally two options for storing
attachments: either attached/associated with a particular page, or in one
common directory.  Using one common directory could/would quickly become a
logistical nightmare, trying to manage what attachment goes with what page
(assuming that you have a wiki with lots of attachments, like I do).  How
would one ever begin to sort all of them?  Or, even linking to one? You
would have to have extremely descriptive [long] filenames, which gets
unwieldy also.

So that leaves attachments associated with a page. This is fundamentally how
large websites are also created (i.e. you don't have a single large file
directory, but a tree of HTML files and their folder of
images/attachments).  In the case of this original email, two pages were
accidently created.  It *is* fairly trivial to go onto the backend and copy
the attachments from one page to another.  But lets say it was intentional,
(like a page called ProjectA and a page called ProjectB).  You can still
have those two separate pages, and you can crosslink between them.  Lets say
on ProjectA, you want to link to a doc on ProjectB.  Just include the path,
like this:  attachment:ProjectB/myfile.doc

Also, on our wiki, we sometimes have a need for simply posting documents, so
that they're convienent. In which case, we use the <<AttachList>> macro
(built-in) or the better looking third-party <<AttachTable>> macro
(available on the MacroMarket page).

Sorry, I get a little wordy sometimes...

-Rick