[Moin-user] rst and docbook parsers

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Thu Sep 18 05:00:59 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 16:23 -0400, Poor Yorick wrote:
> I recently sent a concise email to this list describing how links in the rst format
>
> 	`this is a link <../SomePage>`_
>
> don't get picked up by the "what links here" functionality.  This is such a
> fundamental feature for Wiki's that I was expecting to be quickly corrected on
> how restructured text could be used while keeping "what links here"
> functionality intact. but didn't get any response.

Maybe this is due to no active moin developer is using the rst parser
(or not even using rst anywhere else).

So the RST parser could definitely get some more love by a maintainer
using it and caring for it. [the same is true for docbook, btw]

Nowadays, this is usually just checking and fixing bugs (as the one you
mentioned above [BTW, please check if there is a bug report on the wiki
for that, otherwise this bug does not exist formally]).

In the future, there might be bigger work to be done relating to RST: we
had a summer of code 2008 project that rewrote the moin wiki and creole
wiki parser to work differently, using an internal DOM-tree-like
representation.

This will fix lots of problems we had with the old parser/formatter
approach (e.g. we will be able to generate xhtml, have good working TOC
and Include etc.).

This work will likely get merged at some time next year (after the
storage api/backend work) and it would be nice to have a rewritten RST
parser then.