[Moin-user] Wiki suitability by ACL, security, and support

Rick Vanderveer rick.vanderveer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:26:30 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Trevor<tr.wiki at telus.net> wrote:
> My questions are:
>
> 1. We will want to segregate the clients from each other (ie. they won't be aware of each other), but our development team would need one-login access to all content, across clients.  ie. if a developer logs in, they would have access to all content; if client A logs in, they would only see client A's content, etc.  Am I understanding correctly that "wiki farms" and proper ACL would help us achieve this?

It sounds like your requirements may be similar to what we do:
Since we fundamentally do the same thing for each client, what I do is
set up a new wiki for each new client. This way, when you're searching
for a common term (say "statement of work"), you're looking in the
specific client's wiki for that info, eliminating 'noise' from other
clients.

the backend is configured as:
wiki.company.com/clientnameA
wiki.company.com/clientnameB
wiki.company.com/clientnameC
...etc, so that I don't have to mess with DNS for each new client.  I
also have a 'generic' client template set up, so that on the backend I
simply need to duplicate that folder, rename it to the proper client
name, and configure wikiconfig.py so that it is accessible.  I have a
little cheatsheet (on my wiki, of course) to remind of the steps.

Moinmoin supports multiple simultaneous authentication methods, I
believe. So, for internal users, we authenticate off of Active
Directory (all internal employees have access to all client wiki's
with no special permissions).  For clients, you can configure it so
that an admin is required to set up the account on the wiki itself
(i.e. client doesn't require an AD account, it can be a standard
Moin-style account).

Hope this helps...

-Rick