[Moin-user] why /var/www ?!?

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Wed Dec 2 10:33:05 EST 2009

Hi John,

> I set up MoinMoin successfully today. I thought I followed the directions, but
> I kept encountering a problem. The CSS did not seem to load,

That is usually because the Alias for /moin_static185 (e.g.) is missing
or is not working.

> and Apache kept reporting the error,
>
>     [Tue Dec 01 19:48:28 2009] [error] [client 131.95.120.109] File does not
>     exist: /var/www/home, referer:
>     http://[deleted]/MyStartingPage

moin does not access /var/www/home on its own. Maybe you have
misconfigured something in apache, search for "home" there.

> Once I added a symbolic link /var/www/home -> /home, the error stopped
> appearing and the CSS loaded fine.

You shouldn't link all your home directories to be accessible via the
webserver, because they are linked to be below documentroot.

That could be a major security/privacy issue.

> I guess I must have set something up wrong. Weirdly, adding an Alias directive
> in Apache didn't fix the problem, either.

Maybe you added it at the wrong place? As Reimar already noted: we need
more details and your configs.

Regards,

Thomas