[Moin-user] 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable after 1.6 to 1.8 upgrade [FIXED]

Chris Paulson-Ellis chris at edesix.com
Tue Dec 22 07:08:13 EST 2009

Chris Paulson-Ellis wrote:
> I just upgraded from 1.6 to 1.8 (fedora 10 to fedora 11 package
> moin-1.8.5-1.fc11) and applied the usual upgrade steps (replacing the
> underlay, updating moin.wsgi and wikiconfig.py, etc.).
>
> Now I'm getting a Python exception on any page access:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
[snip]
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MoinMoin/i18n/__init__.py",
> line 285, in getText
>     language = languages[lang]['x-language-in-english']
> TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable

I fixed my problem by doing "chown -R apache:apache data/cache", the redoing the "moin ... cleancache". The fedora package update seems to have resulted in the cache/__common__/i18n directory being owned by root, which caused the cache read/write code in i18n/__init__.py to fail. I would have found this easier to debug if the cache read/write code had logged some errors due to the permissions problem.

Chris.